Cluster Director - Research & Development
One of the core functions of all academic institutions is Research and Development (R&D). R&D plays a crucial role in discovering new knowledge and developing technologies that benefit our society. Research for development has been one of humanity's means to adapt and innovate over time and suffice it to say, research is one of the enablers of change. The Pampanga State Agricultural University has been constantly involved in many primary and applied research endeavors aligned with humanity, agriculture, nature, and entrepreneurship that are borne out of our faculty researchers' passion, dedication, and expertise. These research outputs have resulted in products, patents, publications, people services, policies and/or partnerships that aimed to have a socioeconomic impact. Therefore, as a commitment to nation-building, we at the R&D Office, together with the university researchers, aspire to build on a culture of inclusivity with all our partner stakeholders to be a plethora of meaningful and transformative research engagements.
A. QUALITY POLICY
The PSAU Research and Development Office is committed to develop and apply appropriate technologies, processes and systems to enhance yield and profit both regional and national levels for sustainable agro-ecological and agro-industrial productivity.
B. VISION, MISSION, GOALS AND CORE VALUES
The Research and Development (R&D) Office envisions itself to be a frontier of research and development programs and excellent projects for global competitiveness. It also serves as a venue for providing adequate knowledge and developing appropriate technologies, processes, management schemes, information systems and services adaptive to sustainable agro-industrial productivity and as a support to the College’s instruction, extension and training and production services.
The mission of the R&D Office is to develop packages of appropriate technologies, processes and systems adaptive to sustainable agro-industrial productivity.
The goal of the R&D Office is to increase productivity in the region in particular and in the country in general through sensitive, sustainable and appropriate technologies relevant to the needs of agro-industrializing communities.
The core values necessary in the attainment of the above scenario includes are capture in the acronym RESEARCH which stands for the following:
R – Relevant Researches
E – Environment-friendly technology
S – Sustainability
E – Efficient governance
A – Action-oriented goals and objectives
R – Reliability
C – Commitment
H – Human sensitivity
C. QUALITY OBJECTIVES
The following are the quality objectives of the PSAU Research and Development Office:
1. To formulate and or revise the R&D Agenda every after five years or as needed based on the development of niche and flagship
2. To fully implement the R&D agenda every year with focus on agro-ecological issues and concerns;
3. To increase publication of researches by at least 1% per year in International Scientific Indexing (ISI) and other reputable journals
(Scopus, Clarivate analytics, Elsevier, Science Direct, Thomson Reuters, Asian Citation, CHED Accredited and others);
4. To strengthen dissemination of research outputs through presentations of at least four papers;
5. To enhance commercialization of research outputs through IP application of at least two per year;
6. To develop knowledge, and or improve at least two products or services, and or technologies;
7. To generate at least 20M from external funding sources for the conduct and implementation of research programs and activities
including the upgrading of facilities;
8. To use at least one adopted technology for every after two years; and,
9. To obtain an average clientele satisfaction rating of at least 80%.
D. FUNCTIONS OF THE OFFICE
The Research and Development Office of Pampanga State Agricultural University (PSAU) was established mainly to promote, oversee and monitor research programs and activities, ensure smooth implementation of various researches and provide coordination in the dissemination and commercialization of generated technologies for adoption of clientele and other stakeholders.
E. R & D PROGRAMS OF PAMPANGA STATE AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
The present R&D Program of the College is geared towards the accomplishment of the following major activities:
• Expansion of the agro-forestry programs. The vast reserves of the College provides a wide opportunity for the expansion and agro-
forestry programs to include researches on biodiversity conservation and proper utilization of natural resources;
• Implementation of commodity research programs which include: rice, corn, sweet tamarind, banana, malunggay, saluyot, banaba,
sweet sorghum, high value commercial crops, bamboo, organic vegetables, peanut, honey bees, biofuel, biofertilizer, ornamental
plants, livestock and poultry, processing, and others.
• Conduct of socio-economic researches and entrepreneurship to eventually come up with policy formulation and implementation;
• Intensification of farming system programs which include crop-livestock integration and improved utilization of farm resources and
indigenous farm by-products;
• Conduct of action research programs on community resource development. This will enable research activities to be more realistic
in meeting the needs of the community;
• Conduct of research on post-harvest facilities;
• Research quality improvement by commissioning faculty members who have potentials for research and whose fields of
specialization are different from those required by PCAARRD and DOST. They will act as support force such as statistician, editor,
critic analyst, and the like for non-science and science research areas;
• Manpower development which can be done through continuous exposure to seminars, workshops, trainings and scholarships to
relevant fields of specialization; and
• Expansion of research laboratories through grants from other agencies such as Department of Agriculture, DOST, etc.
F. RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT THRUSTS
The R&D Office targets the following:
• Improved management of the R&D program;
• Effective and creative use of indigenous and foreign technologies;
• Efficient and sufficient research and development manpower and facilities;
• Close coordination and linkages with the Office of Extension and Training for identification of people’s needs and immediate
dissemination of research-generated technologies which are the results of interdisciplinary, inter-unit and multi-functional research
• Improved quality of researches that suit the needs of the changing times and which are geared towards globalization;
• Close coordination with funding agencies and other linkages that assist in the implementation of relevant research and
• Establishment and expansion of Research and Development Centers for identified commodities suitable to the service area.